Sunday 20 March 2011

The Melodramatic Stereotype


Focusing my project on fictional characters I want to look at some which are melodramatic. As a running theme throughout my work, I enjoy using comdey and satire; I believe that it brings a sense of humility while over enforcing my concept through exaggeration, something which is an interesting concept in itself.

Duke Nukem is a fictional character from the origonal video game of the same title, a self proclaimed hero, a good description is provided here 'wise-cracking, hyper-masculine, egotistical, chauvinist, machismo-filled, womanizing tough guy' (Wikipedia). He is the appitamy of the melo drama that I am currently interested in.


His voice, brought to life by Jon st John creates much of the characters depth; a montage of his quotes can be seen here:


From here I intend to create montages of these fictional characters trying to exaggerate them to extremes, I am also considering acting out these or portraying them as elemtns of myself in a more self analytical manner like David Blandys work.



you can find full versions of much of his work here. Im not completly sure why i find his work so attractive, I think it is the reflective way that he looks uponmn the world and popular culture in particular, I myself have always been curious as to why we do the things we do and how much of who we are and what we want is dictated to us. This may come from a need for rebellion or maybe a feeling of not quite fitting into this formation of society; considering the later it would explain my fascination with worlds beyond my own. Contemplating the boundaries of society and what is deemed fitting and not so, the way my concept has now developed to explore the extremes of characters has more solidarity, these exaggerations of real people would certainly not fit into normality. The concept still strongly relates the realtionship between the elements of realism which build the foundations of these characters and the gross extrusions (not neccisarily physical) which identify them.



No comments:

Post a Comment